Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sweden: A Lion's Roar


"Stockholm's cold but I've been told
I was born to endure this kind of weather" ~ "Emmylou"
Sweden is my new favourite country. This bucolic Scandinavian land of smörgåsbords and Muppet chefs probably first entered my consciousness in a big way back when Börje Salming was manning the blue line for the Toronto Maple Leafs. Or maybe it was when I first figured out "Fernando" wasn't about a Spanish tango but Emiliano Zapata...



Along with ABBA and the immortal Roxette, Sweden has bequeathed to the world some of best music of recent years: Refused, Tallest Man On Earth, Robyn, Jens Lekman...

Refused - "Rather Be Dead"
 

Jens Lekman - "Waiting For Kirsten"



The Tallest Man On Earth - "King Of Spain"

Robyn - "Call Your Girlfriend"

But it's First Aid Kit, a duo consisting of sisters Johanna and Klara Soderberg, that have captured the moment. Their latest album, The Lion's Roar, is a pure gem shimmering with lush harmonies and folk melodies....

First Aid Kit - "The Lion's Roar"

First Aid Kit - "Emmylou"


Yuko and I caught their set at Coachella this year and despite some technical glitches, they easily charmed the crowd. First Aid Kit gained prominence about four years ago with their cover of the Fleet Foxes' "Tiger Mountain Peasant Song." I thought they were great, but a fluke. Little did I know...

First Aid Kit - "Tiger Mountain Peasant Song"

No comments:

Post a Comment